December 16, 2011

Review Criteria

I'm going to set some guidelines on how and what I review. These are my established rules/guidelines that you should expect to see every time I review.:

  • My reviews are currently going to be limited to NCAA Division I football teams. That will include all FBS (Bowl Subdivision) and FCS (Championship Subdivision) teams. Granted I will branch out and may cover NFL, Arena, NAIA, semi pro teams, etc., as special or "bonus" reviews, but starting out, I will focus on about the 246 teams across Division I.
  • I will base my reviews on 3 different outcomes:
  1. As Is: Meaning the uniform is fine just as it is. One or two minor details may be changed to be "perfect", but over all, a design the school should keep for years to come.
  2. Tweak: Uniform is missing a few elements to be overall great. Maybe adding numbers on the sleeves, changing the helmet logo, or changing the face mask color. Its only a few steps away from being "As Is".
  3. Overhaul: This is for when a team's uniform is a complete mess! Everything is wrong about it and the team needs to re brand, reboot, redesign, or just start from the ground up.
  • In addition I will be giving a letter grading scale of A, B, C, D, and F.
    • There are many things that bother me about some uniforms. Little things that really don't seem to be a big deal to some, but to me it is. The following is a list of things that bug me, that I will mention in my review, but I won't let it have a lot of bearing on my final review.
    1. Grey face masks. I just don't like them, its a relic of old football that has no place in current uniforms. However, silver/grey helmets with grey face masks are acceptable. (ie. Dallas Cowboys, Kansas State)
    2. Lack of player names on jerseys. Kinda nitpicky I know, but there is always something special about having your name on the back of your jersey. I just feel that some players are loosing out on that sense of pride in one's last name.
    3. Corporate logos on uniforms. I really hate it when a uniform has a Nike or Under Armor or Reebok logo on the front and lacks anything else. I think there is a time and place to have a Nike logo, but on the front of your jersey next to your school logo, is NOT one of those places.
    4. Generic NCAA conference patches. I think there should be a lot of pride in one's conference, whether your in the ACC or the Big Sky. That being said, the NCAA has those triangle-with-a-football- generic-logos that most teams have. I really don't like those. Conference patches should be like what the MAC, WAC, and PAC-12 have, unique and bold.
    5. Tramp Stamps. All I'm going to say is it is wrong to have to look at a player's butt to know what school they played for. (ie Virginia, Auburn).
    6. School/Mascot names on front of uniforms. It just bugs me that some teams have their mascot on the front of their uniforms instead of their school. Your uniform should have the name of your school and not your mascot. (ie "Kent State" over "Flashes")
    That covers everything, except for:

    BFBS!

    Yes I really hate this. For those of you not familiar, BFBS means "Black for Black Sake". A term coined by Uni Watch. This means that a team adds a black helmet, black jersey, black pants or black whatever to their uniform when its not part of their school colors. For example, Ohio State is scarlet and grey. Therefore those should be their colors. Granted they can use black as an accent to help the numbers pop on their uniforms or define the strips, but Ohio State should NEVER have a black jersey, helmet or pants. So yes, if a team is guilty of BFBS, they they will not receive a "good" review.

    So I think I stated my rules and guidelines pretty well. This may change over time, but I will hold myself accountable to this list as best I can.

    So... here we go!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment