June 16, 2012

Top 10 FBS stadiums I'd like to visit

For those of you who are not aware, I am a videographer with an FCS football team. My primary job is to film practices and games for coaches. Within the last year I worked all the home games for my school, going into my sophomore year I will not be able to travel to at least one road game. Unfortunately the slate of road games this season dose not offer for any "unique" or interesting travel destinations. True we are going to California, which is always nice, but we don't have any interesting stadiums to play in. Our schedule also lacks an FBS opponent, meaning that some of the most unique venues in college athletics will not be available to us. This is my countdown of the top 10 FBS stadiums I would like to visit, meaning I wish my school could schedule these teams so that we can go play there, and I get to come along. Keep in mind these are the stadiums I would like to visit and are all opinionated. These are just places I want to go, not necessarily where everyone wants to go.


10. Virginia's Scott Stadium


This may seem an odd choice to most people, but for me, its common sense. My father is from Charolettesville, Virginia and has been a UVA fan since he was in to womb. If my school was to schedule them, I know my father would take off a week from work, drive the eight hours to Charlottesville, visit his brothers and sisters, and they all would get tickets to the game. His son's school versus his favorite school would be too much of a chance to pass up. So this choice is more for my father than me, but nevertheless, I would still like to go back and see UVA again, it is a beautiful campus and frankly, we might have a chance to beat them.

9. The Rose Bowl



I think that any trip to Pasadena would be amazing (just as long as I don't have to drive myself though LA traffic). The Rose Bowl is a logical stop as I don't really like USC's stadium as well as some aspects of USC itself. UCLA is more along the lines of what I would want in a school if I had a choice between the two (FYI, both schools rejected me upon applying). The Rose Bowl just has more history, tradition, and is on more hallowed grown than the Coliseum is. Plus any chance to play UCLA in those "True Blue" blue tops is just beautiful!


8. Marshall's Joan C. Edwards Stadium



Marshall is a school and stadium I have always wanted to visit. I was never aware what was so special about Marshall, besides their national championships and all star players, until I watched "We Are Marshall". I now understand what is special about the Marshall football program. I can still remember the days of Chad Pennington and Byron Leftwich being carried down the field by his linemen. I even had a high school teammate go to Marshall. So to me, it would just be fun to see the school and this team play, even if some of that history if forgotten in the public eye.

7. Louisville's Papa Johns Cardinal Stadium



This is going to annoy a lot of my friends back home. So I was born and raised in Louisville, about 70% of my friends went to Louisville, and Louisville football is king in the city, which is odd for a basketball state. Now I have worked int he stadium several times when my high school team would play there and every time it was fun. A return home to watch my college play Louisville would be sweet. Not to mention Louisville is always flat in the first game of the season and we would have a legit shot of beating them and silencing all of those obnoxious Cardinal fans back home.
 

6. Northwestern's Ryan Field



I have always loved visiting Chicago, but never once have I been to Northwestern. I always plan on visiting the school but never got the time. Evanston I am told is really nice and beautiful, a far cry from the hectic city streets. I love the B1G and it will always have soft spot in my heart (look at spot #3). I love the hill in the end zone because it reminds me of my high school days when I would run up the hill after scoring a touchdown. And as far as the city, going there to visit Navy Pier, the Field Museum, and Soldier Field would be welcomed places to revisit. Northwestern was another school I wanted to go to, but sadly, I was not good enough. On the bright side, being an academic school (I know right?) we would have a good chance of knocking them off too.

5. Kentucky's Commonwealth Stadium





So with 70% of my friends going to Louisville, the rest pretty much went to Kentucky. Many close friends and lovers all went to UK and in all of the times I visited Lexington, I never once went to the campus or visited the stadium. The sea of blue is really cool and the uniforms (besides the black) are really cool. I hate the SEC, so to play UK and have a fair shot of winning is just an awesome notion. My conference is 0-9 against the SEC and I would love to at least see one win in my lifetime. And I must say, my mother is a die hard Wildcat fan... sadly. Although she likes basketball more, I know she would jump at the chance to drive to Lexington to see the game, and if UK did win, I would have to hear about it for the rest of my life.


4. Boise State's Bronco Stadium



The Smurf Turf. My brother's teammate played for Tulsa, and back when both schools were in the WAC, Tulsa would travel to play them. He told me that it was one of the best college football experiences he has ever had. There is a mystique about Boise and the blue turf, I can't explain it, but it makes me want to watch Boise every chance I get. Not to mention the Fiesta Bowl win over Oklahoma really excited me about this program. Unlike the teams so far on this list, we would get pummeled by Boise, but that doesn't matter. To me, whats important is going to watch my team play Boise as they wear all blue and try to find them hiding between the hash marks.

3. Michigan State's Spartan Stadium



A few years ago my school played MSU in East Lansing, unfortunately I was not with the team at that time and I hope that sometime soon we get to go back to Michigan. You see, MSU holds a very special place in my heart. A few summers ago I dated the most beautiful girl while she was at MSU. For reasons that are beyond my understanding, she did not last. Nevertheless, the campus if full of fond memories that I wish to revisit. I even attended a 2010 contest between Illinois and MSU with her. It was the most fun I ever had at a college football game. She is long since graduate and moved away, I may not ever see her again. But while I fell in love with her, I fell in love with the Spartans. The green and white uniforms, the "What is your profession?!" blaring on the speakers, and the Red Cedar River. Oh what I wouldn't give to go back to those days. So while my school would be smashed to atoms by the Spartans, the chance to relive my past, is too good to pass up.

2. CenturyLink Field



So this is obviously not a college stadium, its home to my favorite NFL team, the Seattle Seahawks. The reason that its on the list is because Washington and Washington State have been known to play home games here. For the 2012 season, as Husky Stadium is undergoing renovations, Washington is playing all of their home games at CenturyLink. The honor of playing the Huskies this season from the FCS is Portland State and I am extremely jealous! I love the Seahawks, I love Seattle, and I love the PAC-12. The opportunity to go to Seattle and play the Huskies in the same stadium that Matt Hasslebeck and Shaun Alexander won the 2005 NFC championship in is a dream come true, next to actually playing the Seahawks that is. Hopefully the renovations at Husky Stadium will take a bit longer and we would have a slim chance of playing them. On the other hand Washington State always plays one home game at CenturyLink and while this is usually reserved for a conference opponent, there is always a chance they could schedule us.

1. Hawaii's Aloha Stadium



This choice is a no brainier and I shouldn't have to spell out to you why I would want to play here, but I will anyway. Hawaii is by far my favorite college football team (from the FBS). Its college football... in paradise. I don't know or understand why five star athletes would want to go to Alabama or Georgia or South Bend, when they could play in Honolulu! Its a beautiful location, beautiful women, great history and tradition, and frankly for any team its a reward to go play there. Nuff said!



So that's my list, those are the places I wish my team could play so I could visit. Tell me what you think of my choices, where would you want to go? Leave comments below!

1 comment:

  1. I am apreciating it very much.I have never read such a lovely article..

    Thanks
    NCAA football picks

    ReplyDelete